back to top

Palestine activists ‘intimidate Jews’ with door-knocking Israel boycott campaign

Share post:

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Pro-Palestine activists have been accused of a campaign of “intimidation” against Jews, which saw them question residents while door-knocking.

Campaigners have been visiting homes in Hackney, Bristol, Sheffield and Brighton, where they urge residents to refuse Israeli-made products as part of a coordinated boycott effort.


Over the weekend, the Apartheid-Free Zone movement has scheduled visits in Hackney to press families and businesses to pledge against purchasing Israeli goods, including fruits, vegetables, Sabra hummus and SodaStream.

Hackney’s Jewish population stands at 6.7 per cent according to 2021 Census figures, and the borough hosts one of the largest Haredi Orthodox communities outside New York and Israel.

Bristol organisers have also advertised a 90-minute “February Big Door-knock”, offering training sessions that pair inexperienced volunteers with seasoned campaigners.

Allegations have also emerged that canvassers were documenting addresses alongside notes indicating whether householders were “supportive” or “not interested” in the boycott.

Politicians and Jewish organisations accused the activists on Friday of “crossing a line” with their approach.

The Community Security Trust, which works to protect British Jews from antisemitism and terrorism, issued a stark warning about the campaign’s impact.

Palestine flag in London

Palestine activists are ‘intimidating Jews’ with door-knocking Israel boycott campaign

|

GETTY

“Turning up uninvited at homes in an area with a large Jewish community to push a political agenda of this nature is intimidating and crosses a serious line,” a spokesman for the charity said.

“Jewish residents should not be made to feel targeted or unsafe in their own homes and this activity risks heightening fear at a time of increased anti-Semitism.”

Peter Kyle, the Labour MP for Brighton, has referred his local AFZ branch to the police over potential hate crime and incitement.

“My immediate thought was for the appalling scenario of a vulnerable Jewish resident being door-knocked by a gang of people wanting to harangue them,” he said.

Palestine flags before Big Ben

Politicians and Jewish organisations accused the activists on Friday of ‘crossing a line’ with their approach

|

GETTY

Meanwhile, fellow Labour MP Luke Akehurst described the practice of recording addresses of non-supporters as “intimidatory” and “completely unacceptable”.

Police forces across the affected areas have confirmed they are monitoring the situation, though none have identified criminal offences linked to the door-knocking itself.

Sussex Police said its officers have reviewed all available evidence regarding activity in Brighton and Hove, finding no indication of criminal conduct at this stage.

Avon & Somerset Police also confirmed awareness of today’s planned Bristol event, stating it would allocate sufficient resources should any policing response prove necessary.

South Yorkshire Police acknowledged the Sheffield canvassing had prompted local concern but reiterated that no offences relating specifically to the house-to-house visits had been established.

The Campaign Against Antisemitism described the activists’ approach as “intimidation masquerading as activism”.

They called on forces nationwide to ensure participants face consequences for their conduct.

- Advertisement -

Popular

Support World News Today

Help us keep news free, honest, and unbiased. Your support enables World News Today to deliver independent journalism and quality reporting to readers worldwide.

Make a Donation

Choose your support amount and leave a message if you like.


 

Thank you for supporting independent journalism. Every contribution helps us deliver honest and quality news.

Subscribe

More like this
Related