back to top

Michael Carrick breaks silence on Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s immigration comments ahead of Man Utd match

Share post:

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Manchester United boss Michael Carrick has broken his silence after Sir Jim Ratcliffe recently claimed the UK was being ‘colonised by immigrants’.

Ratcliffe made the remarks in an interview with Sky News, with the 71-year-old sparking a huge backlash.


United released a statement distancing themselves from his remarks, while political figures such as Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham also condemned the British billionaire.

There have been suggestions that United’s majority owners, the Glazer family, are unhappy with Ratcliffe and fear his comments could lead to issues when it comes to attracting sponsors.

The Red Devils have been flying under Carrick, with the fallen giants heading to Everton on Monday on the back of four victories from their last five games.

Facing the media ahead of the showdown on Merseyside, the United interim manager made his feelings clear and suggested everybody associated with the club had a ‘responsibility’ to be respectful.

“Sir Jim made his statement and the club made a statement on the back of it. It is not my place to add to that. Enough has ben said in that regard,” he stated.

“I have been around this club for many years, we make a huge impact globally and we are responsible for that.

Manchester United boss Michael Carrick has broken his silence after Sir Jim Ratcliffe recently claimed the UK was being 'colonised by immigrants'

Manchester United boss Michael Carrick has broken his silence after Sir Jim Ratcliffe recently claimed the UK was being ‘colonised by immigrants’

|

PA

“Throughout the years, as a player and member of staff as a supporter, we are really proud of the environment and culture we’ve got at the club.

“Equality and diversity and respect for each other is something we look to carry through every day.

“I have travelled the world and know what this club means to a lot of people. I am aware of the responsibility we have.”

With United winning matches again, Ratcliffe’s comments have provided the club with an unwanted distraction.

Jim RatcliffeSir Jim Ratcliffe offered a half-hearted apology following his comments on immigration | PA

When asked if the 71-year-old’s words had undermined the unity within the club, Carrick insisted that wasn’t the case.

“We have a really strong group, whether that is the players or the staff,” he stressed.

“We are in constant communication anyway. We are here to support each other in whatever way we can.

“The boys have been in good spirits this week. We’ve had some time off which has been important for a refresh and a bit of a deep breath after the short time we’ve been together to digest everything and then come together and focus on what’s next.

“We are here to help each other and support each other in whatever way we can.”

Earlier in the season, meanwhile, the Red Devils lost 1-0 to Everton at Old Trafford on a nightmare night for Ruben Amorim.

United played the majority of the game a man up after Idrissa Gueye received his marching orders for slapping his own teammate.

Michael CarrickMichael Carrick has won four of his five matches in charge of Manchester United this season | PA

It was a huge victory for David Moyes, who lasted just 10 months with United after replacing Sir Alex Ferguson in 2013.

Carrick was part of the squad that played under Moyes and he’s got nothing but positive things to say about his old manager.

“David [Moyes] is such a good manager, knows what it takes to have success,” he said.

“We have had a lot of time to look forward to it. Always tough going to Everton.

“We are trying to be our best. We have things to improve on. A good spirit and we will draw on that.”

Carrick also confirmed that Matthijs de Ligt will miss the match, with the Netherlands international’s last appearance coming back in November.

- Advertisement -

Popular

Support World News Today

Help us keep news free, honest, and unbiased. Your support enables World News Today to deliver independent journalism and quality reporting to readers worldwide.

Make a Donation

Choose your support amount and leave a message if you like.


 

Thank you for supporting independent journalism. Every contribution helps us deliver honest and quality news.

Subscribe

More like this
Related