The England football fan who died in Bulgaria was subjected to “blunt force” prior to his death, according to evidence that has taken more than six years to obtain.
Rob Spray, 32, from Heath Hayes in Staffordshire, suffered a fatal cardiac arrest in Sofia on October 14, 2019, having travelled to watch England’s European Championship qualifier against Bulgaria.
Translated witness statements and CCTV footage have now finally been received.
The family’s barrister, Oliver Carr, informed the coroner: “There is certainly one very noticeable part of the footage that has come to the attention of those instructed, and myself, that we’ve seen that goes to the question of the inquiry of blunt force.”
The latest pre-inquest review took place at County Buildings in Stafford on Thursday, attended by Mr Spray’s father, Malcolm and sister, Katie.
Mr Spray’s mother, Jillian, passed away from cancer before seeing any resolution.
The coroner acknowledged the footage referenced by Mr Carr, he said: “We found what may be regarded as use of force when Mr Spray… I know the part that you are talking about.”
Bulgarian authorities initially reported Mr Spray had been discovered in a “helpless condition” before being transported to Pirogov hospital.
The England football fan who died in Bulgaria was subjected to ‘blunt force’ prior to his death
|
GETTY
His family have never received an explanation as to why he was discharged from hospital into police custody, where he subsequently suffered a fatal cardiac arrest without any medical professionals present to assist him.
The coroner has previously said there was “reason to suspect unlawful death”.
He indicated at Thursday’s hearing that the full inquest will be heard before a jury.
A pathologist has been commissioned to examine the evidence, including the documented use of force in both the witness statements and CCTV footage.
The fan travelled to watch England’s European Championship qualifier against Bulgaria
|
GETTY
The expert has been tasked with assessing the reliability of post-mortem investigations conducted, determining the probable cause of death, and evaluating what role the use of force, administered medication, and chemicals identified in toxicology reports may have played.
Mr Carr said: “Ultimately, what the family will be interested in is the test on causation and whether or not the injuries, if he does have sufficient information on them, more than minimally contributed to the cause of the death.”
A final pre-inquest hearing is scheduled for June, after which the full inquest into Mr Spray’s death has been provisionally set to commence on September 7, with four weeks allocated for proceedings.
The coroner expressed his intention to call the Bulgarian investigating officer to provide an overview of events and their findings, along with three Bulgarian pathologists whose evidence may be challenged.
A petition demanding an investigation into Mr Spray’s death has now gathered more than 100,000 signatures
|
GETTY
He also identified approximately 13 witnesses he wishes to hear from.
These include those present in the treatment room, individuals involved in restraint, those who administered medication, and people who accompanied Mr Spray from the room to the police van.
The coroner acknowledged there may be practical difficulties in securing evidence from Bulgaria.
A petition demanding an investigation into Mr Spray’s death has now gathered more than 100,000 signatures.






