A Metropolitan Police firearms sergeant with more than three decades of service has been dismissed without notice after a disciplinary panel determined he ran his mobile pizza venture whilst claiming to be too unwell for duty.
Matt Skelt, who served with the MO19 Specialist Firearms Command Unit, faced a misconduct hearing in Sutton on Thursday, February 19, where allegations against him were found proven.
Assistant Commissioner Rachel Williams, chairing the panel, delivered a damning assessment of the 34-year veteran’s conduct.
She concluded that Mr Skelt had behaved as though he was “well enough to work but not well enough to serve the public in any capacity.”
The sergeant had been absent from his policing duties for extended periods throughout 2025 and into January this year.
Mr Skelt joined the Metropolitan Police in 1991, beginning his career as a constable in Walthamstow before transferring to Stoke Newington.
He moved into specialist firearms work in 2004 and subsequently delivered training in close protection and ministerial security operations.
The officer was also instrumental in establishing units designed to respond to critical incidents, including terrorist attacks.
A Metropolitan Police firearms sergeant with more than three decades of service has been dismissed without notice after a disciplinary panel determined he ran his mobile pizza venture whilst claiming to be too unwell for duty (stock)
|
GETTY
Throughout the disciplinary proceedings, Mr Skelt acknowledged running the pizza enterprise and maintained he had initially received proper authorisation to do so.
However, correspondence sent in August 2025 informed him that his business interest approval was being withdrawn.
The letter stated that his commercial activities were “incompatible with his phased return to work and recovery.”
This communication also carried an explicit warning that continued involvement with the pizza firm could result in disciplinary proceedings.
The tribunal ruled Matt Skelt continued to run his Pizza business despite being warned doing so could result in disciplinary action (stock pic)
|
PxfuelDespite receiving this information, social media evidence presented to the tribunal revealed he continued his commercial activities.
Nasreen Shah, representing the tribunal’s appropriate authority, told the hearing that online searches uncovered “occasions where Sgt Skelt appeared to be working on days where he was reported absent from the Met for sickness.”
Posts from September demonstrated he had attended multiple events selling pizza and was operating two days weekly outside a local pub.
Further social media activity showed the sergeant appearing at a birthday celebration and promoting his business at a Christmas market.
Mr Skelt contested the August correspondence did not constitute a binding instruction.
The panel rejected this argument, ruling that he ought to have stepped back from his prominent public-facing role with the company regardless.
Mr Skelt told the hearing: “I found myself in the impossible position of following the order or not being able to provide for myself when I retired.
“My reputation means a lot to me and the thought I would be sacked from the police for gross misconduct is incredibly difficult for me to deal with.
“The very last thing I wanted to do was to challenge the authority of the Metropolitan Police.
“I took it very seriously. I knew that I have to face life outside of the Met and that I would not be able to seek employment and [had] a pension that is not enough to survive in the outside world.”
He emphasised throughout that he had “been open and honest” about his activities and “never tried to deceive anyone.”
The officer even offered to resign if it would spare the force from pursuing formal disciplinary action.
However, Assistant Commissioner Williams was unmoved, acknowledging his transparency whilst declaring that openness was “not an excuse.”






